Heart Sight Words for Mini Offices


I love my writing mini offices and so do my students.  Every year I tweak them so my students can get the most out of them.  Two years ago I added my themed word walls which I laminated and the students are able to change them out any time they want.  I love them!!! 

This year I really wanted to add a changeable word wall on each folder but I wasn’t sure how to do this.  I have been experimenting with different things and I have finally come up with something I cannot wait to use in the classroom. 
I have taken the dolch word lists (pre-primer, primer, grade one and grade two) and put each word in a little heart.  I printed those out, laminated and cut them and placed Velcro on the back of each little heart.  I glued 3 file folders together and made this my assessment/storage folder for the heart sight words. When it is time to assess each students sight word recognition, I will use the file folder.  

I will call each student up and have them bring their writing mini offices.  I will show each student one panel with the heart sight words and ask them to pick the words they can read.  Each student will pull off a heart word they can read and place those heart words in their writing mini office in the section I have called “I Know These Words By Heart”.  Once the student goes back to their seat with their mini office and the words they know, I can quickly fill in the assessment recording sheet by looking at what words are missing from the my file folder.  Before I call the next student up, I can replace the heart sight words that are gone with new ones. 

I do realize there is a lot of cutting with this but parent volunteers may be able to help and I will be doing this project over summer vacation.  I laminate everything so I can re-use it year after year.

If you wish to purchase this product, please head over to my TpT store at


I can't wait to use these and I really feel the student will be so excited to show you how many words they know by heart!















Comments

  1. What a cute idea! I visited your TpT store, but I was unable to locate this ??? It's probably a "me" thing, but if you could help me locate it, I would be grateful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    it should be up and running now on TpT. I just sent you an e-mail too...covering all my bases!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Plant Journal Revisted with a New Addition Bean Greenhouse Activity

Blank Game Boards